Hollywood is buzzing about a new trend. Everyone from Jessica Simpson to Kim Kardashian are going “au naturale.” With unretouched photos and makeup-free magazine spreads, Hollywood’s new leading lady must be naturally beautiful.
While sticking to a proper skincare regimen is absolutely essential to looking great in the buff, for some of us, cleansing, moisturizing, and SPF just aren’t enough to make us ditch the makeup. What about dark under eye circles and large pores? Well, we’re taking the top 5 reasons people wear makeup and giving some alternative solutions that will help you look great, the natural way.
1. Pimples. Nothing makes us want to reach for a heavy-duty concealer more than a blemish. However, the truth is, piling on makeup often makes pimples more obvious. Plus, makeup can potentially cause blemishes to worsen. If you are unable to prevent pimples with regular washing, try a concentrated spot treatment like HappyMe Skincare’s Overnight Pimple Eliminator. Its effective formula, combining sulfur and essential oils, begins shrinking pimples on contact, while also protecting against inflammation, irritation, and redness.
2. Uneven complexion. Splotchy skin, redness, post-acne marks and dullness are just some of the complexion situations that cause many to opt for makeup. Everyone wants the dewy, vibrant skin advertised in magazines and it seems the easiest way to achieve this is with makeup. But there is a better way. First, exfoliation; this helps to remove dead skin cells, which can often clog pores and cause skin to appear dull. A natural exfoliate like glycolic acid removes dead skin without irritation. The second step to a flawless complexion is to nourish skin. Choose a moisturizer that works with your particular skin type. Look for essential oils like Rosemary, Bergamot and Lavender, which hydrate without making skin greasy. Plus, their antibacterial properties and soothing effects will protect against irritation and redness. Third, it is important to protect skin both inside and out. Try popping a daily multi-vitamin or skin supplement that will help brighten skin from the inside. Also, plenty of water will wash away toxins and improve skin’s overall look. Oh and one more thing: wear sunscreen!
3. Washed-out features. Even if we already have nearly flawless skin, many of us still want that extra pop that can come from a little lipstick or blush. However, there are many ways to enhance your natural beauty, without turning to makeup. Let’s say you want a more pronounced pucker. Try exfoliating your lips with damp wash cloth or toothbrush. This will remove dead skin cells and encourage blood flow to lips, which not only gives them a lovely pop of color, but will also pump up the volume. Follow with a natural-based lip balm to moisturize and add shine. Want some more color in your face? Skip the blush and take an age-old tip and pinch your cheeks for a burst of color.
4. Dark under eye circles. Puffiness and darkened skin around eyes can be caused from a lack of sleep, stress, poor diet, and sun exposure. The good news being, all of those things are fixable and preventable. Aside from sleeping more, stressing less, eating better, and protecting with an SPF, there are a few other tips to help keep dark circles and puffiness at bay. Placing cooled teabags over eyes for about ten minutes not only helps with dark eye circles, but it also soothes puffiness. Try chamomile -- its anti-inflammatory properties really work. Also, one more age old trick that hasn’t lost its luster – cucumbers. The cucumber slices help lighten dark circles while calming skin.
5. Enlarged pores and shine. Unfortunately, there is no real way to change the size of our pores. However, there is a way to trick them into appearing smaller. One thing that can cause pores to appear more obvious is shine. While many opt for a powder to control shine and reduce the appearance of pores, there is another way. HappyMe Skincare’s Pore & Fine Line Perfector and Primer is the ultimate secret weapon for anyone looking to go au naturale. This matte drying formula gives skin a natural airbrushed appearance that can rival the finest powders. Using natural Silica, it firms and tightens skin, giving a more youthful look. Plus, it is infused with natural antioxidants and other natural ingredients to minimize the look of pores and leave skin with a soft, velvety finish.
Who needs makeup now? Certainly, not you.